sunday stirring

Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm currently reading Anne Lamott's Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith.
This passage is from pages 171-172.
I love it.

Age has given me what I was looking for my entire life- it has given me me. It has provided time and experience and failures and triumphs and time-tested friends who have helped me step into the shape that was waiting for me. I fit into me now. I have an organic life, finally, not necessarily the one people imagined for me, or tried to get me to have. I have the life I longed for. I have become the woman I hardly dared imagine I could be. There are parts I don't love- until a few years ago, I had no idea that you could have cellulite on your stomach- but not only do I get along with me most of the time now, I am militantly and maternally on my own side.

This concept of stepping into the shape that is waiting for you... to stop pretending to be someone you're not, but to be who you were created to be? That is beautiful. I wish that for each of us... be on your own side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment